Friday, May 21, 2010

Children say the darnest things.....

I have been a parent going on eighteen years now and it has been challenging to raise my three kids aged 18, 17 and 7 during what I want to call: the "Enlightenment Years." I would have to say that my kids(this culture) have truly kept me on my game. The rules of the game are constantly changing and it is a struggle to keep up; but I do the best I can. I was raised in an era where it was: "Do as I say, not as I do," and "children are to be seen and not heard." Look how time has change.

Before I go on my rant about parenting styles, I understand now that there is no such book out there that will stop your worrying, concerns, fears and headaches as it pertains to raising your children. If there is, please let me know. There is a saying that "Children learn where they live," I believe it is somewhat true but not totally. According to Charles Zastrow, MSSW and PhD there are three types of parenting styles: permissive, authoritarian, and authoritative. The permissive parent is very non-directive and avoid trying to control their children. On the other hand, the authoritarian parent emphasizes control and conformity. Lastly, Zastrow says that the authoritative parent involves children in the decision making and encourage the development of independence. I feel that it doesn't apply to this culture, I have tried all three plus the Bible; my hair still hasn't grown back!

Words of Wisdom: Understand that today, peers and friends have a strong influence in the lives of our children. I feel if we keep the communication lines open and do more listening than talking; there is some hope as parents. Keep them talking, if you do, you might learn something!

1 comment:

  1. When God is the center of their lives, our children's lives will be filled with hope even with life's detours and unpredictability! (smile)

    ReplyDelete